This is a broad area and very controversial to many inspectors and contractors. What you should know is:
- Is my home properly grounded?
- What is the age of the electrical wiring in my home? Remember that there is no Grandfathering Clause with electrical systems.
- Is my breaker panel overloaded?
- Is there knob and tube wiring?
- Do I have aluminum branch wiring?
- Are my counter and bathroom outlets G.F.C.I.s? (Ground Fault Current Interrupter testing is included with every home inspection).
- Is there water or signs of rust in the electrical panel?
- Is there any loose or exposed wiring?
These are just some of the basic things to ask yourself and look at when evaluating your home or prospective home.